The Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab programme supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) seeks to improve graduate education in urban fields across Sub-Saharan Africa.
It is one of seven SDG Graduate Schools funded by the DAAD worldwide. The lead partners, the Habitat Unit at Technische Universität Berlin and the School of Architecture and Planning at Wits University in Johannesburg and the University of Lagos, collaborate in the offering of an urban-oriented graduate training and capacity building programme at Wits University that seeks to effectively address the challenges and needs of modern urban studies.
Aim and Benefits of BMZ/DAAD Ph.D Scholarship
The masters scholarship covers the duration of one academic year.
The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend covering living expenses
- Travel from home country/ place of origin
- Student medical aid (12 months)
They will be responsible for organizing their accomodation in Johannesburg as well as for organizing their travel to Johannesburg, and for covering the respective costs. The expenses will be refunded during
the first half of the academic year.
Students applying for the scholarship are required to pay for their SAQA fee costs. SAQA fee costs will not be refunded.
The Wits-TUB-UNILAG reserves the right not to make all or to make no scholarship awards.
Requirements for BMZ/DAAD Ph.D Scholarship Qualification
- This call is open for applicants who are from sub-Saharan African countries other than South Africa.
- A separate call for South Africans will be open soon.
- For all applicants whose highest degree was not obtained in South Africa, a proof of application for assessment of their degrees by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) must be attached to the scholarship application.
September 30, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) on www.wits.ac.za to apply
Find the full call here and the scholarship application form here. All scholarship applications must be sent to email@example.com on or before the 30th of September 2023. No late applications will be considered.